Congratulations on passing the Professional Scrum Master assessment! You have demonstrated a fundamental knowledge of the Professional Scrum Master role and the rules and principles of the Scrum framework as described in the Scrum guide.
Every day this message pops up in multiple mailboxes congratulating new Scrum Masters with their certificate. They now have proven fundamental knowledge of the Scrum framework. But the most difficult part has yet to start: applying the gained knowledge into real life projects together with their daily impediments, sky high expectations and imposed tough deadlines.
Scrum is often seen as the ‘silver bullet’ that will solve all problems. Teams will magically become high performing and projects will be realized within budget, according schedule, with high quality and with all the functionally the stakeholders desired. The Scrum Master hereby is seen as the ‘orchestra conductor’. Providing guidance and leadership to a team with high skilled individuals that only together can create the most astonishing compositions.
This is a challenging environment that sets high expectations for the Scrum Master. For living up to these expectations profound knowledge of the Scrum framework is unconditional. But for sure, this isn’t sufficient; this is only the start of the journey towards becoming a truly great Scrum Master that guides teams to be magic!
But what are the steps to become a great Scrum Master?
Taking into account that every ‘journey’ is unique, there is a pattern that great Scrum Masters have in common:
- They all have profound, solid knowledge of the Scrum framework and principles;
- They have got lot’s of practical experience with setting up new teams, coaching Product Owners and evangelizing Agile into their organizations;
- They ensure their knowledge is continuously increased by sharing experiences with other Scrum Masters during e.g. seminars, courses, workshops.
It’s my personal experience that you really need all these three elements to give your Scrum Master skills a boost. Basic knowledge can be gained during the Professional Scrum Master course and practical experiences will be increased automatically by fulfilling the role. But it’s the sharing of the knowledge, experiences and lesson’s learned that really will ignite the Scrum Masters journey towards great craftsmanship.
To ignite these journeys, Prowareness created the Scrum Master Advanced training. It’s main purpose is to provide an environment in which experienced Scrum Masters learn from each other by sharing experiences, discuss encountered pitfalls and elaborate on achieved successes. The training is facilitated by an experienced Scrum Master who will tailor every training on the participants needs. Questions that often arise are:
- How can I guide my team through the ‘forming – storming – norming – performing’ stages of group development?
- How to recognize dysfunctions in a team and how to deal with them?
- How do I create sufficient support for the Scrum transition in my organization?
- What is Servant Leadership and how can I apply it?
- What about the Chief Scrum Master?
- What’s the difference between Agile coaches and Scrum Masters?
If these are also relevant questions for you as a Scrum Master, please join us at the next Scrum Master Advanced training at Prowareness!